||One of West London’s
most famous learning institutions is Brunel University [map],
Uxbridge. The name of Brunel University has become as
well known and respected in engineering circles, as was
the name of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
Both reputations are well deserved, reflecting technical
competence, creativity and commitment, which have resulted
in important advances in science.
However, today, Brunel University’s influence extends
far beyond the fields of engineering, science and technology. A long succession of developments
and mergers has brought the university from modest beginnings
to a major force on the UK higher education scene.
The first step in the establishment of Brunel University
was in 1928, when Middlesex County Council transferred
its Junior Technical School, founded in Chiswick in 1910,
to Acton in west London. Here it grew rapidly, winning
the respect of employers and the local community.
90 per cent of boys leaving the school found employment
in the engineering and building trades. This was to be
a well-founded precedent to the unparalleled graduate
employment record Brunel enjoys today.
In 1995 West London Institute of Higher Education was incorporated into the university, bringing with it
an expertise in new subject areas and innovative study
West London Institute had been created in 1975 from the
merger of Borough Road and Maria
Grey teacher training colleges and Chiswick
Polytechnic. It had campuses in Isleworth and
Twickenham, west London. Until then, Brunel’s traditional
strengths were in the fields of engineering, science, technology, social sciences, education and management.
The merger brought performing arts, humanities, geography and earth sciences, health, social work, sports sciences and business within the university’s remit, giving Brunel a total
student population of just over 12,000 located on four
Students can now enjoy a dynamic university that offers
a diverse range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses.