FC might not be top of everybody’s list of favourite
football clubs but there’s much to be said for going
along to watch a match at the Wetherby Road ground [map].
A football club was formed in Harrogate in 1914 and
was the founder member of the Yorkshire League.
It joined the Midland League in 1921 but returned
to its Yorkshire League roots by 1922, where it won
the championship in 1927.
It all went down hill in 1931, however, when the club
wound up in 1932 and the ground at Wetherby Lane
(now known as Weatherby Road) was sold to the Harrogate
In 1935 the club decided to reform and this time called
themselves Harrogate Hotspurs and played their
matches at the Stray. They soon joined the Yorkshire
League once more and even returned to their ground at
1948 saw the club take the familiar moniker of Harrogate
Town FC and the season started well. 1950 saw the
largest attendance ever at Wetherby Lane of 4,280
for the match against Harrogate stalwarts Harrogate
This spot of good luck continued through the 1950s and
culminated with Harrogate Town being promoted to
Yorkshire League Division One in 1960.
Sadly, the 1960s saw Harrogate down on its uppers and
the next decade saw the team relegated to divisions
two and three before finally staying in division two
for much of the 1980s.
Several impressive wins followed including being named Yorkshire League Division Champions and West
Riding County Cup winners in 1986.
1990 put Harrogate FC back on top and led to the North
Premier League Division One championship. This led
to them also being named West Riding County Cup winners in 2003.
2004 saw the football club become founder members of
the Nationwide North Football League and surely
a promotion is again within the clubs sights?